To CAREWare Users from John Milberg, HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau
A belated happy new year to all. And what a better way to start off then with a shiny new version of CAREWare.
Before I outline what is in this new build, I want to make sure that everyone is fully aware that if you have not yet upgraded to version 6, you will need to do so soon in order to produce your 2019 RSR and ADR. The CAREWare Help Desk has already worked with many of you to successfully complete the upgrade. Don’t hesitate to contact the CAREWare Help Desk if you have any questions about the process.
That said, there are some important updates and fixes that you may want to take advantage of now. And remember, one of the very nice new features of browser-based version 6 is that if you have a network with multiple users, the new build needs only to be updated centrally; because it is browser based, all users will see the new version when they log in (and refresh their browser). In version 5, all users needed to be updated separately with the client tier, a sometimes very time-consuming process.
As for the new features and fixes in this upcoming build:
- The new 2020 Federal poverty levels are included. These were just released on Jan 20th by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s Office of the Asst. Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE).
- We’ve added the old RDR back! While this will certainly go through some iterations down the road as you give us input, we hope that you’re glad that it is back.
- Added a data archiving system. Users are finding that their databases are getting very large, and this may be slowing things down a bit. The archiving function will allow you to remove (and store separately) portions of your database that are no longer necessary for current activities. Specifically, you can remove and archive portion of user action and change history records which accrue in size rather rapidly. You’ll need to access this feature in Central Administration and as Central Administrator you will need to first grant yourself the right to do this in the Provider/User Mgr. Once you have been granted the right, Go to Admin Options > Data Oversight > Archive and Purge Data to set the parameters. This feature will be especially useful to those who have used CAREWare for many years or imported large amounts of data form another system. You may want to consult with the CAREWare Help Desk on the use of this feature.
- We’ve added a scrolling tool to help you find items in a long list. When searching, say, for a Service category or ICD10 code in a long list, your initial search may easily result in more than ten items. We’ve updated the screens to make it easy to scroll through all the items that are returned when you begin a search. For example, in the example below, here I started searching for a disease code and simply typed in the letter ‘h.’ Now you can see right away that there are 6 pages (ten items per page) of returned values; you can easily go to the next page to look for the item of interest. Remember as well that as you refine your search, the number of returned values gets smaller.
- Added a Contract report that shows summary budget and service information on each contract set up in your database. This report is accessed under Admin Reports > Service/Contract Setup> Contract Report (the bottom link).
Added a field to record the ICD-10 diagnosis code for a medication record. This will now enable you to run a custom report to look for clients on specific medications for specific conditions.
Fixed bugs in the following areas: Provider Data Import, Client Merge function, Form Designer, HL7 Lab import and Socket interface.
Added a common storage setting (“PasswordReuseRestrictionCount”) to restrict users from recycling their last X passwords.
Added a medication placeholder function (allows you to start a medication before it has been formally added to our master medication list).