Make the most of Marketplace Open Enrollment: Focus on staff training, workload, and partnerships.
Marketplace Open Enrollment (OE) begins on November 1, 2023, and will run through January 15, 2024. Now’s the time to focus on 1) assessing staff workload, 2) building enrollment partnerships, and 3) conducting staff training.
Assess Staff Workload
OE can be a busy time for staff. Take the time to assess staff workload and determine whether your program has adequate personnel and resources available to facilitate enrollments.
Build Enrollment Partnerships
Many organizations opt to build relationships with community enrollment partners to help ensure that all eligible clients get enrolled into health plans that best meet their needs. Make sure enrollment assisters working with your clients are aware of the unique health coverage needs of people living with HIV and how the RWHAP, including ADAP, can provide financial support for premiums, medications, and co-pays.
The following ACE resources can help enrollment assisters understand the RWHAP program and certain client considerations:
- 8 Things to Know to Help Support People living with HIV to Enroll in Health Coverage (resource)
- How Assisters Can Help People Living with HIV Get Affordable Coverage (video)
- Learn more on the ACE Resources for Enrollment Assisters page.
Conduct Staff Training
During OE, staff work with clients who may have questions and concerns about health insurance, plan options, and the enrollment process. Make sure staff are prepared to educate clients and successfully facilitate enrollments.
The following ACE tools can help support staff training:
- Common Questions and Suggested Responses for Engaging Clients in Health Coverage - Understand how to have a conversation with RWHAP clients about enrollment in health insurance. Also available in Spanish.
- FAQ: Premium Tax Credits (PTCs) and Cost-Sharing Reductions (CSRs) - Learn how PTCs and CSRs can help clients pay premiums and lower the amount they have to pay out-of-pocket for deductibles, coinsurance, and co-payments.
- Account Tune Ups: Getting Ready for Marketplace Open Enrollment - Learn how to conduct these client pre-enrollment appointments to get clients ready for Open Enrollment.
- Health Insurance Literacy eLearning Module - Build your health insurance literacy skills so that you can better assist clients with enrolling, using, and staying covered.