From the HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau Update: Special Bulletin, 11/4/21
Pediatric COVID-19 Vaccination Update and Important Resources
On November 2, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children aged 5-11 years. These recommendations align with and follow the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) emergency use authorization of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 in pediatric patients in this age group.
Below are important resources and opportunities for our Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program clinicians and healthcare team members to support administration of the Pfizer vaccine to pediatric patients.
The following resources are available to help Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program clinicians and healthcare team members with implementing the recommendation:
- CDC's website: COVID-19 Vaccination for Children 5-11 Years Old
- CDC’s Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines
- HRSA's Maternal and Child Health Bureau’s bulletin: COVID-19 Vaccine Authorized for Ages 5-11
Below are upcoming opportunities to help clinicians and healthcare team members learn more:
- November 4, 2:00-3:00 PM ET – Pediatric COVID-19 Vaccines: CDC’s Recommendations for COVID-19 Primary Series in Children 5-11 Years Old: CDC’s Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) Call. Join the session.
- Friday, November 5, 2:00-3:00 PM ET – Pediatric COVID-19 Vaccine Town Hall: Join HRSA Acting Administrator Diana Espinosa for a health center town hall to discuss pediatric COVID-19 vaccination in underserved communities. BPHC is co-hosting the event with the Maternal and Child Health Bureau. Speakers will share the latest information about COVID-19 vaccination for children ages 5-11. This includes ways to build vaccine confidence among parents and families and to support partnership between providers and families for shared decision-making. A CDC representative will also provide an overview of the pediatric vaccine rollout plan. Join the day of the session.
- Thursday, November 18, 2:00-3:00 PM ET - November HAB You Heard Webinar: Join HRSA’s HIV/AIDS Bureau for our monthly update. This meeting is open to RWHAP recipients, subrecipients, stakeholders, and federal staff and will include updated information about COVID-19 boosters for people with HIV. Register to participate in this session.