From the ACE TA Center Listserv
Federal and state updates, including new Special Enrollment Periods
In recent days, a variety of federal and state actions have been taken to support continued access to health care and coverage during this public health emergency. The landscape continues to evolve, and we encourage you to stay in touch with your state health department and Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (RWHAP), including its AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), to make sure you are getting the most accurate and timely local updates.
Federal updates and resources include:
- HRSA’s HIV/AIDS Bureau posted a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for RWHAP recipients, subrecipients, and stakeholders.
- The federal income tax deadline has been extended to July 15, 2020 by the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service.
Other federal resources:
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) guidance to help Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D plans respond to COVID-19
- A series of FAQs and recommendations from CMS to ensure individuals, issuers, and states have clear information on coverage benefits for COVID-19
- FAQs for health centers from HRSA’s Bureau of Primary Health Care
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) guidance to support behavioral health service providers
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance and resources for community and faith-based organizations, health care providers, individuals, and other key audiences
State updates and resources:
A number of states have moved quickly to expand access to health insurance and remove barriers to care. We encourage you to check with your state health department for the most up-to-date information.
A number of additional states have also implemented or encouraged implementation of other state actions. Other state actions related to private health insurance include (but are not limited to):
- Lifting cost-sharing requirements for COVID-19 testing and treatment
- Allowing for early prescription refills
- Lifting prior authorization limits for COVID-19-related tests
- Increasing access to telehealth
To see the full list and details about what changes have taken place, visit the Commonwealth Fund.
Additionally, many major commercial insurance plans have put policies in place to support access to COVID-19 testing and/or treatment.
Have a question about this or other health coverage policy updates? Email the ACE TA Center.