The Housing First to Treat and Prevent HIV (HFTPH) intervention, launched by Caracole, an AIDS Service Organization (ASO) in Cincinnati, OH.
This intervention uses three interconnected approaches to improve retention in HIV care: housing first, harm reduction, and Motivational Interviewing. HFTPH aims to quickly connect individuals with HIV experiencing homelessness to housing and address barriers they may face in maintaining housing.
In 2021, Caracole housing served 216 people in 167 households. At the end of the year:
- 94 percent remained in permanent supportive housing
- 84 percent reached viral load suppression
- 98 percent established a usual and appropriate place for healthcare
This package of training and implementation tools was developed to assist Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (RWHAP) sites and other organizations/clinics to implement the Housing First to Treat and Prevent HIV intervention.
- Intervention Implementation Guide: Housing First to Treat and Prevent HIV
- Fact Sheet: Housing First Intervention Fact Sheet
- FAQs: Working with People with HIV Experiencing Unstable Housing FAQs
- Webinar: Innovative HIV Care Strategies for Priority Populations: Housing First and Positive Peers Interventions
Browse for More