Trauma-Informed Approach & Coordinated HIV Assistance and Navigation for Growth and Empowerment (TIA/CHANGE) is an evidence-informed and resilience-focused intervention that provides guidance and structure for becoming a trauma-informed HIV service organization. In collaboration with HIV experts, trauma-informed care experts, and community members, E2i adapted TIA/CHANGE for the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (RWHAP) and produced a toolkit that provides the resources needed to implement TIA/CHANGE within RWHAP settings and other HIV care organizations.
To improve client engagement in HIV care by guiding an organization to implement a trauma-informed approach to the delivery of care
People with HIV who have a history of trauma
1. Organization-level Implementation
- The intervention affects all aspects of the organization; all key stakeholders are involved
- All staff develop competencies in trauma-informed care
- The service environment provides a safe place for healing and wellness
- People with HIV who have experienced trauma, as well as their family members, are meaningfully involved in all aspects of the implementation of TIA/CHANGE
2. Trauma-informed Approach
- A trauma-informed organization is one that:
- Realizes the widespread impact of trauma and understands potential paths for recovery
- Recognizes the signs and symptoms of trauma in clients, families, staff, and others involved with the organization
- Responds by fully integrating knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures, and practices
- Seeks to actively resist re-traumatization
3. Guiding Principles
- Organizations should adopt guiding principles that establish a solid foundation for all planning, implementation, and evaluation activities.
- Guiding principles align with your organization’s mission, while supporting a trauma-informed approach.
TIA/CHANGE is an ongoing and dynamic endeavor based on three implementation phases (early, mid, and late implementation)
Any organization that offers services to people with HIV
This Guide includes:
- How to plan and implement the intervention
- Lessons learned during implementation in RWHAP settings
- Outcomes from the E2i initiative
A Spanish version of the Implementation Guide is coming soon!
Watch an instructional dramatization of how to deliver TIA/CHANGE to clients.