The Emerging Strategies to Improve Health Outcomes for People Aging with HIV (Aging with HIV Initiative) supports and evaluates groundbreaking interventions that seek to improve the well-being of people with HIV ages 50 and older served by the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (RWHAP).
Funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (RWHAP) Part F: Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS), the interventions being tested at each Aging with HIV Initiative demonstration site employ the HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB) implementation science framework to:
- Implement emerging strategies that comprehensively screen and manage comorbidities, geriatric conditions, behavioral health, and psychosocial needs of people 50 years and older with HIV.
- Assess the uptake and integration of emerging strategies.
- Understand implementation processes, including assessing specific implementation strategies.
- Understand and document broader contextual factors affecting implementation.
- Evaluate the impact of the emerging strategies.
- Document and disseminate the emerging strategies.
Interventions will specifically address:
- Creating a holistic, multi-faceted approach to elder care for people with HIV in communities of color.
- Leveraging existing geriatric assessments to mitigate falls and diagnose and treat frailty in persons aging with HIV.
- Expanding HIV dementia assessment and management among older people with HIV in clinics.
- Integrating additional assessments and referral processes into routine clinic workflows for older clients with HIV.
- Improving collaborative care to assess risk and eliminate polypharmacy among people aging with HIV.
Evaluation and Capacity Building Providers
- Capacity-Building Provider
NYS Department of Health / Health Research Incorporated
Center for Quality Improvement and Innovation (HRI)
- Evaluation Provider
NORC at the University of Chicago
- Dissemination Lead
Impact Marketing + Communications
- Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY
PI: Nathan E Goldstein
Grant Number: H97HA46073
- Boston Medical Center Corporation, Boston, MA
PI: Archana Asundi
Grant Number: H97HA46074
- Centro Ararat, Inc., Ponce, PR
PI: Ivan Baez-Santos
Grant Number: H97HA46075
- Colorado Health Network, Inc., Denver, CO
PI: Erin Burk-Leaver
Grant Number: H97HA46076
- Empower U, Incorporated, Miami, FL
PI: Resha Mehta
Grant Number: H97HA46077
- Family Health Centers of San Diego, Inc., San Diego, CA
PI: Felipe Garcia-Bigley
Grant Number: H97HA46078
- University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
PI: Shellie Williams
Grant Number: H97HA46079
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh, PA
PI: Sarah McBeth
Grant Number: H97HA46080
- Wake Forest University Health Science Center, Winston Salem, NC
PI: Caryn Morse
Grant Number: H97HA46081
- Yale University, New Haven, CT
PI: Lydia N Aoun-Barakat
Grant Number: H97HA46082
Aging and HIV Resources
- HIV in the United States by Age (CDC, 2022)
- HRSA HAB RWHAP Data including the RWHAP Annual Client-Level Data Report, 2021 (2022)
- HRSA HAB Fact Sheet, Older Adult Clients: HRSA’s Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program: Population Fact Sheet, 2020 (July 2022)
- Clients Aged 50 Years and Older Served by the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, 2020 (PPTX Slides) (HRSA, March 2022)
- Healthcare Needs of Adults with HIV Who Are Aging in the RWHAP (webinar from HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau Special Sessions)
- Psychosocial and Support Needs for People with HIV who are Aging in the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (webinar from HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau Special Sessions)
- Projected Growth and Needs of Aging People Living with HIV in HRSA’s Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (CROI session)
- Managing Aging and HIV, 2021 Ryan White Clinical Conference, recording and slides
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: HIV and Older Americans. (2002)
- Gay Men’s Health Crisis: National Resource Center on HIV and Aging
- Administration for Community Living: HIV/AIDS
- HealthHIV: Pozitively Aging
- Gilead: Stop the Virus. A Regimen’s Safety Profile Should Support Aging with HIV
- HIV.gov: Aging with HIV