Resources to help clinics integrate community health workers (CHW) into an HIV multidisciplinary team model.
Involvement of staff from a range of professions is utilized by some HIV care agencies so that varied client issues can be addressed within the context of a single agency’s care team. Disciplines may include not only HIV clinical care but also opioid treatment, population-specific care expertise, and other areas of experience.
Webinars and Training
- Boston University School of Public Health
- IHIP, HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)
Discussion of how two SPNS sites supported Latino clients of Puerto Rican and Mexican descent move along the HIV care continuum. Includes focus on MSM as well as persons with substance use challenges.
- Center for Engaging Black MSM across the Care Continuum, NASTAD
Web training site to educate providers on the delivery of HIV health care services for black men who have sex with men to enhance engagement/retention in care.
- HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)
Resources on implementing jail linkage programs and assisting organizations in expanding their current jail work.
- Boston University School of Social Work Center for Innovation in Social Work and Health
Cross-disciplinary training curriculum to increase knowledge and awareness of the relationship between HIV infection and substance use. Also available in Spanish (Version en español).
Tools and Job Aids
- In It Together
Health literacy training initiative to help health professionals incorporate health literacy approaches into their services.
- HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB), Boston University School of Social Work Center for Innovation in Social Work and Health
Toolkit for planning a peer training program for HIV-positive peers who work to engage and retain people with HIV in health care.
Reports and Best Practices
- Culturally Appropriate Interventions of Outreach, Access and Retention among Latino/a Populations Initiative: Intervention MonographsSPNS Latino Access Initiative, UCSF Center for AIDS Prevention Studies
Monographs describing interventions for the engagement and retention of Latinos in HIV care.
- HRSA/SPNS Workforce Initiative
Insights on operating Care Teams: multidisciplinary collection of providers who work together to meet multiple patient needs to improve care delivery and outcomes. Best practices cover: preparation, staffing, buy-in, formalization, and adaptability.
- SPNS Transgender Women of Color Initiative
Innovative models for linking and retaining transgender women of color in HIV care, developed by a multi-site demonstration project.
- Center for Advancing Health Policy and Practice
Insights from a HRSA SPNS initiative on care coordinator/patient navigation interventions for vulnerable populations.
- HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)
Insights on ways that HIV care programs have improved health outcomes along the HIV care continuum.
- SPNS Systems Linkages Project
Insights from a multi-state demonstration and evaluation of innovative models for linkages to and retention in HIV care.
- AETC National Coordinating Resource Center (NCRC)
HIV clinical training resources for the AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETC) Program (e.g., library of tools by topic and populations, calendar of events, directory of AETCs, clinician consultation resources). Discover AETC EHE resources for clinicians.