Discussion of two SPNS projects that effectively engaged Latinos of Mexican descent (with focus on MSM) in HIV testing and linkage to care.
Approximately one-fourth of HRSA Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (RWHAP) clients are Hispanic/Latino. Viral suppression rates are slightly above the overall RWHAP average. Technical assistance and training resources focus on, for example, linguistic, cultural, and other barriers to health care.
Source: Hispanic/Latino Clients: HRSA’s Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, 2019, Population Fact Sheet (HRSA, June 2021)
Webinars and Training
- IHIP, HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)
- The Bronx Health and Housing Corporation
Webinar series on ways to improve HIV primary care patient outcomes for Latinos/as who are incarcerated or have a history of incarceration, with a case study sub-analysis of transnationalism among Puerto Ricans.
- National Center for Innovation in HIV Care
Discussion of social determinants of health that create barriers to HIV prevention and care for young adult Latino(a)s. Tools shared on recognizing agency barriers to care.
- HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)
Tools to help health care providers adapt SPNS models within their existing operations in order to better engage hard-to-reach people with HIV into care.
Tools and Job Aids
- In It Together
Health literacy training initiative to help health professionals incorporate health literacy approaches into their services.
Reports and Best Practices
- Culturally Appropriate Interventions of Outreach, Access and Retention among Latino/a Populations Initiative: Intervention MonographsSPNS Latino Access Initiative, UCSF Center for AIDS Prevention Studies
Monographs describing interventions for the engagement and retention of Latinos in HIV care.
- SPNS Transgender Women of Color Initiative
Innovative models for linking and retaining transgender women of color in HIV care, developed by a multi-site demonstration project.
- NASTADIdeas for RWHAP Part B/ADAPs to support access to medications and tailor related services for Latinos and Latinas living with HIV.
- National Minority AETCGuide and promising practices that address cultural competency for specific racial/ethnic populations.
- AETC National Coordinating Resource Center (NCRC)
HIV clinical training resources for the AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETC) Program (e.g., library of tools by topic and populations, calendar of events, directory of AETCs, clinician consultation resources). Discover AETC EHE resources for clinicians.