Web training site to educate providers on the delivery of HIV health care services for black men who have sex with men to enhance engagement/retention in care.
The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (RWHAP) is a federal program dedicated to providing the best care to people with HIV. Funds go to states and communities to deliver services.
The main purpose of this website is to present resources to help RWHAP agencies deliver HIV care. There are also resources for people with HIV. The RWHAP has a legislative requirement of consumer involvement, which helps keep the program on the right track. Consumer-focused resources include involvement of consumers/people with HIV in planning councils, advisory boards, and peer programs (where people with HIV support others to help keep them in care).
But the most important role for you is to take care of your health. This means keeping appointments, taking medications, and asking for help and support from friends, family, and professionals like physicians, nurses, case managers and counselors.
Getting in Care, Staying in Care
- Clients should work with their trusted HIV/AIDS care team to learn about health insurance coverage options. Access health insurance enrollment resources for consumers.
- Need help with HIV services, like finding a clinic? Use the Program Locator to find a Ryan White program near you. One good place to start is the RWHAP Part B website for your state. Often, they list hotlines, lists of agencies, and grievance/complaint forms. You can also contact our Help Desk.
Currently in care? Contact your case manager, your doctor, your nurse.
Resources and TA/Training People with HIV
Explore the following Library topics and websites for resources developed to date. Also, access the Technical Assistance Directory for current projects that deliver support to RWHAP agencies.
See the Top Picks below as well as our People with HIV & Community Involvement resources for information on varied topics, like:
- Community Advisory Boards - how to set up and improve a community advisory board.
- Peer Programs - train patients and community members to support other patients.
- Quality Management - HRSA's standards and tools and resources to measure and improve performance.
Innovations in HIV Care: Replication Resources - HRSA-funded innovations are currently catalogued in HIV Care Innovations: Replication Resources and Best Practices Compilation, (Consolidation of these collections is forthcoming.)
See our Planning resources and the vital role of consumers in Ryan White decision-making. Start with the Planning Body Operations resources, particularly the Planning Council Primer and Training Guide for RWHAP Part A Planning Councils/Planning Bodies: A Member’s First Planning Cycle.
Webinars and Training
- Center for Engaging Black MSM across the Care Continuum
Tools and Job Aids
- HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB), NASTAD
CPAPA is no longer being updated by NASTAD and has been replaced by Pharmaceutical Company Patient Assistance Programs and Cost-Sharing Assistance Programs.
- In It Together
Health literacy training initiative to help health professionals incorporate health literacy approaches into their services.
- Planning CHATT
Review of the roles and functioning of Ryan White Part A planning councils.
- Boston University School of Social Work Center for Innovation in Social Work and Health, HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)
Training compendium for agencies seeking to develop programs that utilize peers to help engage and retain other people with HIV in care. Also en Espanol: Componentes Esenciales para la Capacitación y Éxito de los Trabajadores Pares (Peers)
- Planning CHATT
Resources to support PC/PB Support staff, PC/PB members, leaders and others in planning and providing orientation and training for current and potential members of PC/PBs and their communities.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
U.S. HIV-related treatment guidelines, drug database, and glossary.