Resource for healthcare agencies to train Community Health Workers (CHW) in order to integrate them into their HIV and other primary care teams. The curriculum was developed through a national needs assessment of RWHAP agencies and administered at varied RWHAP sites over a two-year period. Learn more in the Introduction and Background (PDF).
The 80-hour curriculum uses the Community Health Workers Core Competency Skills as a framework. There are two components: CHW Core Competencies (64 hours) and HIV Knowledge Base (16 hours). Browse individual modules below or download the entire package (large files).
CHW Core Competencies
- Who Are Community Health Workers? (Guide | Slides)
- History of CHWs (Guide | No slides)
- CHW Roles, Skills, and Qualities (Guide | Slides)
- Challenges and Solutions to Working on a Team (Guide | No slides)
- De-Escalation in the Workplace (Guide | Slides)
- Establishing and Supporting Professional Boundaries (Guide | Slides)
- Prioritizing and Organizing Your Time (Guide | Slides)
- Professional Development (Guide | Slides)
- Professional Skill and Conduct: Ethics (Online at NEPHTC)
HIV Knowledge Base
Sixteen hours of training covering the HIV viral life cycle, how antiretroviral medications work, understanding laboratory values, promoting and addressing treatment adherence, managing stigma and disclosure, U=U, treatment as prevention (TasP), pre-exposure (PreP), and post-exposure prophylaxis (PeP).
We recommend that the training be delivered by experienced trainers in the field of HIV or chronic disease, and that trainers have experience working with diverse socio-demographic communities. Lesson plans note where additional subject matter expertise is recommended for delivery of the training module.
- HIV Care Continuum (Guide | Slides)
- Introduction to Community Health Workers in HIV Care (Guide | Slides)
- HIV 101 (Guide | Slides)
- HIV Life Cycle and Medications at Work (Guide | Slides)
- Adherence, Labs, and Medication Resistance (Guide | Slides)
- Medication and Treatment Adherence (Guide | Slides)
- Promoting Medication Adherence (Guide | Slides)
- PEP, PreP, and TasP (Guide | Slides)
- Medication and Drug Interactions (Guide | Slides)
- HIV and Substance Use (Guide | Slides)
- Sexual Health Part 1 (Guide | Slides)
- Sexual Health Part 2 (Guide | Slides)
- HIV and Comorbidities (Guide | Slides)
- HIV and Aging (Guide | Slides)
- HIV and Stigma (Guide | Slides)
- Supporting Client with Disclosure (Guide | Slides)
- Using Motivational Interviewing Techniques in HIV (Guide | Slides)